Ferulic acid is a once-a-day treatment option to help protect skin against new fine lines and wrinkles. It is an antioxidant found in plant cells that is known for neutralizing free radicals that lead to aging.
Other benefits include:
- Slows the development of sagging skin • Protection from UV rays
- Reduces inflammation
- Reduces formation of brown spots
- Minimizes darks spots from pimples
- Evening and brightening skin tone
- Boosts the effects of vitamin C and E
While ferulic acid is not associated with any serious adverse effects, it is possible for it to cause skin irritation and breakouts. For those with sensitive skin, rosacea, and/or eczema it is recommended to try only a small area near the ear to see how your skin reacts.
This product should be avoided with exfoliating acids such as glycolic, salicylic, or lactic acid. Mixing exfoliating acids with ferulic acid can alter the pH, changing the effectiveness of the antioxidant.
Belmont College of Pharmacy
Student Pharmacist | Class of 2023
- Shunatona B. Ferulic acid is a great tool in the fight against free-radical damage. Byrdie.
Updated May 31, 2022. Accessed July 13, 2022. https://www.byrdie.com/ferulic-acid-4692840
- Wong C. The health benefits of ferulic acid. Verywell Health. Updated January 6, 2021. Accessed July 13, 2022. https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-benefits-of-ferulic-acid-89607
- Lewsley .J What to know about ferulic acid, Medical News Today. March 30, 2022. Accessed July 13, 2022.